Thursday, April 21, 2016

Rum Spiced Mangoes




Before moving to Puerto Rico I preserved a lot of fruit. I loved canning peaches and especially liked making Brandy Spiced Peaches. It is a little jar of delight to pour over your waffles in the dead of winter. I've transferred a lot of these peach recipes over to the mango. With our mango tree bursting with fruit this year, I have been busy. Today I made both Brandy Spiced Mangoes and, of course, being in Puerto Rico, Rum Spiced Mangoes. 

Rum Spiced Mangoes
Mangoes, chopped roughly
Cinnamon sticks, broken up a bit
Whole Cloves
Whole Allspice
Rum
Citric Acid

I followed the cold pack method of canning fruit. 
  • Put chopped mango into your clean, hot jars, add a piece of cinnamon stick, a clove and two allspice balls. 
  • Pour in 1/2-1 shot of rum (or brandy) into the jar. 
  • I wasn't sure the mango was acidic enough, so I added 1/8-1/4 teaspoon citric acid per jar. 
  • Add water to the top, leaving head space. I have used simple syrups in the past, but now just use plain water. The water seems to sweeten up from the fruit as it sits. 
  • Boil in hot water bath for 10-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...