Saturday, June 20, 2015

Woodman, Spare That Tree













This beautiful White Pine tree has had so many children climb it's branches, swing from it, fall from it and play under it through out the years. Au Sable is a special place for many children that have grown up coming here, summer after summer. Ben and I count our blessings that we are able to return to this place where we met and share some of the magic to our children. Here is a beautiful poem about a special tree. While it is about an oak tree, not a pine tree, it still is just right.

Woodman, Spare That Tree

Woodman, spare that tree!
Touch not a single bough!
In youth it sheltered me,
And I'll protect it now.
'Twas my forefather's hand
That placed it near his cot:
There, woodman, let it stand,
Thy axe shall harm it not!

That old familiar tree,
Whose glory and renown
Are spread o'er land and sea,
And wouldst thou hew it down?
Woodman, forbear thy stroke!
Cut not its earth-bound ties;
Oh, spare that aged oak,
Now towering to the skies!

When but an idle boy
I sought its grateful shade;
In all their gushing joy
Here too my sisters played.
My mother kissed me here;
My father pressed my hand --
Forgive this foolish tear,
But let that old oak stand!

My heart-strings round thee cling,
Close as thy bark, old friend!
Here shall the wild-bird sing,
And still thy branches bend.
Old tree! the storm still brave!
And, woodman, leave the spot:
While I've a hand to save,
Thy axe shall harm it not.

~George P. Morris, 1937





Photos by Jan van Ee

These memories would fade away with time, if it were not for one special person that is willing to come visit and take so many beautiful pictures of our children and nieces and nephews. Opa and Oma, Ben's parents, arrived here this week after traveling from Mexico and then driving their camper from Iowa. That trip did in Opa's back and he moved pretty slow for a couple of days. We started to realize that it was just too painful for him to chase after his grandchildren with his camera. After convincing him that some ibuprofen might be helpful, he bounced back into the game and this is what he blessed us with. Beautiful images, full of memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...