Friday, December 26, 2014

New England Clam Chowder


The Fourth of July was not complete without having Great Grandma Floy's Clam Chowder at the lake. We would have it every year and Great Grandpa Harry Tatem liked it with orange or ginger ale soda. I've been wanting this recipe for a while and was very happy when my aunt emailed it to me. I decided I didn't need to wait another six months to make it, so we had it for Christmas dinner. We didn't have the traditional Royal Milk Lunch crackers, which aren't made any more, but I've heard that Burton’s Rich Tea Biscuits fill in very nicely.

New England Clam Chowder
Makes 4 qts.
¼ lb. salt pork
4 cups diced onions – sautéed in pork fat
4 cans minced clams
12 oz can or 2 - 8 oz bottles clam juice
6 cups diced potatoes
1 12 oz. can evaporated milk (or cream)**
  •  Chill salt pork in freezer for a little while to make it easier to dice. Dice and fry on low heat.
  • Add onions and sauté.
  • Add clam juice and juice from clams into mixture. Set clams aside.
  • Add clams and potatoes. Cook over low heat until tender (not more than 14 min.)
  • Add milk or cream and salt and pepper to taste.
*Grandma cooked the potatoes in clam juice and then added the onion/salt pork mix. I cooked it in all together as I can't imagine that it would make a difference.
**I usually use cream, rather than evaporated milk to avoid the BPA in can liners.


Floy Meacham Tatem
May 10, 1895 - March 18, 1989

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...