Thursday, March 20, 2014

Remembering the Buffalo





Pattern: Kinsale, Size 4T
YarnCascade 220 Heathers, Celery
Needles: US 7

While making Juliana's Springtime sweater and looking for buttons for it, I found these buffalo nickel buttons in my button box. I knew I needed to make something with them right now for Pieter before we leave these beautiful plains that the American bison used to rule. We are so fortunate that these amazing animals were saved from extinction after the massive slaughter in the 1800s. One of our favorite adventures is visiting Custer State Park to see the herds of buffalo there. We still need to squeeze in another visit and now Pieter has a great sweater to wear. It is just the right sweater to remember our times in the Black Hills and to not forget the history of this amazing animal.

I love Cascade 220 and this was a gift from Genevieve, who couldn't bare to finish her partly knit sweater after someone spilled their yogurt and grapenuts on it at a coffee shop. So, I was gifted with the yarn and have really enjoyed making several projects with it. I thought this colorway perfectly matches the green-yellow plains that the buffalo graze on.

I knit the largest size of the pattern (4T) and added length (1.5") to the arms and body. I thought by adding more length, it would be just a bit bigger than Pieter, but it fits my tall boy just right. Not bad since he only has three more months to wear it before we say goodbye to sweaters.  

The pattern was straightforward, but it does have an error in it: when starting the sweater at the neck and increasing for the shoulders, there is an error in rows 2 & 4. For the first section before the first marker, it should be: "p1tbl, k1 until the last two stitches, p1tbl, p1." As it is written now, that one raglan shoulder at marker one has purls along the center seam when it should only be a knit stitch. Of course I didn’t notice this until I was almost done with the shoulders and had to redo the entire shoulders again.


Buffalo Dusk

The buffaloes are gone.
And those who saw the buffaloes are gone.
Those who saw the buffaloes by thousands and how they
   pawed the prairie sod into dust with their great hoofs,
   their great heads down pawing on in a great pageant of dusk,
Those who saw the buffaloes are gone.
And the buffaloes are gone.

~Carl Sandburg

Larrick Crosby, Nancy. Piping Down the Valleys Wild. 
New York: Delacorte Press, 1968. Print.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful sweater! I am having a hard time finishing one I started months ago now that I know it won't be cold again for several more months.
    So neat to have all these memories of South Dakota, it really is beautiful from this warm vantage point.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...