Sunday, December 1, 2013

Advent Journey: Very Early




Another beautiful sunrise...

December is such a busy month for me. Not just full of holiday things, but also full of making and crafting for both of our children's birthdays. Pieter's is in just a few days and I still have a pile of sewing to get done. I wish I could get things done ahead of time, through out the year, but that just doesn't seem to happen. I need to slow down and think more deeply on this season of advent. It seems as though we reflect on the lenten season more than the advent season. I've decided to join Jacqui, the Barefoot Crofter, in capturing our Advent Journey this year. Mornings around here jolt into activity without a slow, contemplative process. As soon as the little ones start to wiggle, there is no quiet moment. I love this poem below and while I very rarely wake alone, I love the idea of waking the sun and kissing the stars goodnight.

Very Early

When I wake in the early mist
The sun has hardly shown
And everything is still asleep
And I'm awake alone.
The stars are faint and flickering.
The sun is new and shy.
And all the world sleeps quietly,
Except the sun and I.
And then beginning noises start,
The whirrs and huffs and hums,
The birds peep out to find a worm,
The mice squeak out for crumbs,
The calf moos out to find the cow,
And taste the morning air
And everything is wide awake
And running everywhere.
The dew has dried,
The fields are warm,
The day is loud and bright,
And I'm the one who woke the sun
And kissed the stars good night.

~Karla Kuskin

Larrick Crosby, Nancy. Piping Down the Valleys Wild. 
New York: Delacorte Press, 1968. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...