Monday, November 25, 2013

The Setting Sun




{Ben throwing a cowpie like a frisbee}

{Pieter's turn}

{looking at milkweed seeds}




{not much sun left}

Our days are so short now and the sun hangs so low on the southern horizon. I miss the strong warmth overhead the dries the clothes on the line so quickly. And the warm rays that don't reach the porch anymore. But one beautiful part of this time of year is the glowing hills in the late afternoon. Every evening that it is clear, we have a beautiful, brilliant hillside to look at. The red earth glows in the last few rays of sun and I tuck that warmth inside to get through the winter.


Afternoon on a Hill

I will be the gladdest thing
  Under the sun!
I will touch a hundred flowers
  And not pick one.

I will look at cliffs and clouds
   With quiet eyes,
Watch the wind blow down the grass,
   And the grass rise.

And when lights begin to show
   Up from the town,
I will mark which must be mine,
    And then start down!

~Edna St. Vincent Millay

Larrick Crosby, Nancy. Piping Down the Valleys Wild. 
New York: Delacorte Press, 1968. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...