I have been loving all of the ripe tomatoes at my local farm stand. If I get there just after they open up in the morning, I can usually snag a bag of damaged veggies for a few dollars. What to do with some juicey tomatoes that aren't going to last another day? Fresh tomato soup!
Creamy Fresh Tomato Soup
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 chopped red onions
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
12 medium-large fresh tomatoes
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon fresh grated pepper
3/4 cup cream
- Melt butter with olive oil in a large stock pot.
- Saute onions and carrots for 10 minutes, add garlic, saute one minute more.
- Place sieve on top of pot. Cut tomatoes in half, squeeze out the seeds, allowing the juice to drop into the pot. Press out any liquid and compost the seeds.
- Chop up the tomatoes and cook in the pot for 20 minutes.
- Add basil, salt and pepper.
- Puree in blender or with emersion blender. Add cream.
- Serve warm or cold.