Monday, December 10, 2012

Farm Play Mat


Pieter loves farms, so I knew that he would adore the stable and farm set from Nova Natural. Between grandparents, friends, and us we were able to buy this beautiful wooden set. I knew that it definitely needed some fields, roads, and rivers to be played on. I found some fabric that was just right at my local fabric store, The Bakery Fabrics. A wheat field is in the back corner (Grassland from the collection Wild Africa by Jodi Bergsma for Robert Kaufman) and a grazing field in the front (green tufted fabric by Moda). I just love the flower beds (Autumn from Serenade by Kate Spain for Moda) at the front and back of the barn. The mottled grass I used through out is Layered Nature by Catherine Genand Rionder for Studio e. 
After I did all the basic piecing, I had to put together the pond, wetlands, and stream. I used tracing paper and fusible interfacing to create these pieces and zigzagged around the pieces after I ironed them on. I was pretty nervous about this part, but am happy how they came out. I really like the stepping stones along the stream (Ten Litte Things by Jenn Ski for Moda). The wetland fabric is Baby Talk by David Walker for Free Spirit.
Pieter's tractor fits right into the farm. It is the perfect size. The road is Bark from the Signature Collection for Blank Textiles.
{Goat Herder & Goats}
{Pieter really likes the horses and they like their pasture!}
My favorite part of the whole play mat is the edging. I found this split rail fencing (Elizabeth Studios, Round Up) and it really feels like it is fencing in the farm. Now if I can only take it back from Pieter for a little bit to bind it up!

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome. Truly a work of art not just a play thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did a lot of searching online for ideas and then really hit the jackpot at my fabric store for fabric designs. It helps to live in the west - lots of nice country and western fabric to be found. My only problem now is that I want to make a second one with that is wild - woods and fields for wild animals. And of course Nova has those! http://www.novanatural.com/forest-animal-set.html

      Delete
  2. I CAN ALWAYS TELL WHEN ITS A LABOR OF LOVE......LOOKS LIKE YOU HAD FUN...LOVE THE GRASS. AND THAT FENCING IS THE PERFECT BINDING. THANK YOU FOR SHARING. ANNIE VIA THE BAKERY

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! this is beautiful! Good job! Katrina

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...