Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A touch of lemon: homemade cheese

{homemade ricotta cheese}

A few weeks ago I read an interesting article about trace chemicals in food from plastic packaging. I've been pondering this for a while and found some great ideas for storing food without plastic. I've been trying some of these methods for my produce and so far so good. Our milk comes in glass jars from local pastured dairy cows, and while I make yogurt from it regularly, I hadn't tried many other cheese products. I decided to give it a few recipes for soft cheese try since it would be one more type of food that avoids plastic in our home.

So, my usual yogurt making turned into homemade ricotta cheese with just a touch of lemon juice. Smitten Kitchen is full of wonderful recipes, homemade ricotta being one of them. I took this yummy ricotta and whizzed it up in my food processor with some sundried tomatoes, pine nuts, grated parmesan, garlic and olive oil. It made the best spread! Now that I had explored whole milk and lemon juice, what would cream give me? The fabulous Italian cheese, mascarpone. Another great blog, Not without Salt, has a recipe for homemade mascarpone. And by the way, if you like dessert recipes, you definitely need to check out this blog. Incredible recipes are posted by this pastry chef turned stay-at-home-mom.
{homemade mascarpone cheese & spiced brandied peaches}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...