Fermented Dill Pickles
- Sterilize a 2 or 3 gallon jar.
- Clean cucumbers and soak in cold water if they are not freshly picked.
- Layer the following: fresh dill, cucumbers (1 gallon), pickling spices (5 tablespoons) and garlic (2 bulbs)
- Make a brine: 6 tablespoons sea salt, 2 quarts filtered water and 1/2-1 cup of whey. Stir until dissolved. Pour over layers.
- Weigh down the cucumbers so that only the liquid is at the surface. A plate, jar or plastic bag with brine in it works well.
- Cover with towel and place in the dark at 70 degrees.
- Ferment from 5 to 10 days. Taste as it goes to see if they are done and then store in the refrigerator.