Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Summer fruit

What to do with all the cherries? Last week I made cherry pie for the first time and froze five bags of cherries for five more pies this winter. Sour Cherry Jam was next on the list. Last summer I started using Pomona's Universal Pectin, which is amazing. It allows you to make excellant jam with little or no sugar. For example, with the normal pectin you would use 4 cups of fruit and 4-5 cups of sugar. With Pomona's, you use 3/4 cup of sugar and get some very tasty jam. You actually taste the fruit and not a jelled mass of sugar. You just need to pick more fruit to get the same amount of jam!
And last night we enjoyed Sour Cherry Crumb Cake which was quite yummy. I added pastry whole wheat flour to up the nutrient density. Everyone liked it! Now the sour cherries are gone. It looks like I'm going to have to find the next fruit of the season. Blueberries, anyone?

2 comments:

  1. I love our strawberry jam made with the pomona pectin! Thanks for the suggestion. :) Blueberry is up next for us, maybe some peach too (assuming I move fast enough). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am lamenting the fact I am not there with you now to help, learn and eat lots of cherries!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...