The New Best Recipe from Cook's Illustrated. I've been looking for a good cornbread recipe to accompany the chili. I found a good one called Super Moist Cornbread and have modified it quite a bit to increase the nutrient density of the bread. The result is a cornbread that we all love, especially with honey on top!
Whole Grain Cornbread
1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 cup corn meal
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoons salt
1/2 to 3/4 cup honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup corn kernels (I use frozen)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups whole milk yogurt, kefir or buttermilk
3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Put coconut oil in a cast iron skillet and put in oven to melt.
- Put butter in a glass measuring cup and place in oven to melt.
- In a blender or chopper, coarsely blend the corn kernels with 1/2 cup of yogurt.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk the eggs with honey. Stir in the dry ingredients, melted butter, yogurt, olive oil, and coarsely puréed corn kernels. Stir until just smooth and wet.
- Pull out the skillet and swirl the coconut oil to coat the sides. Pour in batter.
- Bake for about 10 minutes at 400°F, then lower the heat to 350°F for another 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, rotate the skillet and cook for 10-15 more minutes.
Note: I find that I have a bit too much batter with this, so I fill the skillet almost to the top and then pour the rest into a regular bread pan. That cooks much faster than the skillet, so if you are in a hurry (read: the family is impatiently hungry) you can start off with this smaller bread first while the skillet bread finishes cooking.