Thursday, March 3, 2011

Antiques and Chocolate

I love to browse antique shops. More and more it is hard to find good deals, so I often leave empty handed. But I still had a great time at the Antique Emporium in Deadwood. 
Last fall I actually found silverware that matched my grandmother's set here. I was thrilled to round out what I was missing.  Next door we stopped in at Chubby Chipmunk, a tiny little store along the dusty road on the outskirts of Deadwood.  I had driven by in the past and thought the name was cute, but never stopped (Papa was with me). Well, we stopped and had so much fun! The chocolate was devine! Here is a taste for your eyes.
The original Chub-O-Matic! If the store is closed when you visit, you can still have a taste!
These samples were amazing. The strawberry truffle was made with cocoa butter and real strawberries!  
Susan, better known as Heidi Hazelnut at Chubby Chipmunk, was a wonderful host. I really wanted to get a look at the kitchen to see where all the true creative work occurs, but she said that the owner "Chip" didn't allow that. Well, maybe next time I can convince them. These two chocolates came home with me: Coconut Almond (for me - yum!) and Hot Mama: Habanera, Jalapena, Cayenne for Papa. They were excellent!

2 comments:

  1. I noticed a lard can from Armour. I used to work for that company. We processed tallow in a plant near Saskatoon into a couple of chemicals that were used in the potash industry for stabilizing potassium compounds. Most of that was used for fertilizer but some was used for soaps as well.

    Enjoy your time with Pieter. They seem to grow up in the blink of an eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful outing!
    The truffles were divine, and I bet Chubby Chipmunks can send them to any location.
    They are now on my gift list.

    Thanks for the time together and I look forward to our next one . . .

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...