Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Week of Chicken, Part IV


When we lived in Madison, Wisconsin, we participated in a really great CSA, JenEhr Family Farm. Each week when I would pick up my box of fresh vegetables, I would find a newsletter with recipes in it. One of my favorites that I still make is Red Kuri Soup with Apple Cider. Since I don't always have a Red Kuri squash, I just substitute it with any other common winter squash, like butternut. Here is my modified recipe that uses up the last of my chicken broth this week.

Winter Squash Soup with Apple Cider
1 teaspoon thyme
1 cinnamon stick
1 medium onion, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
4 ribs celery, chopped
3 pounds squash, peeled and chopped
2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped*
2 cups apple cider*
4-6 cups chicken broth
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup cream
salt and black pepper
1/2 cup creme fraiche or sour cream

In a large pot over medium heat, cook vegetables in butter until soft. Add squash and apples. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender. Add cider and chicken broth - enough to cover veggies by one inch. Add thyme and cinnamon stick. Simmer for 45 minutes.

Remove from heat and remove cinnamon stick. In batches, puree in blender until smooth. Add cream, salt and pepper. Garnish with creme fraiche.

*If you don't have apples or cider, just put in 2 cups of applesauce.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm... that looks so good. I can almost smell it from here!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...