Monday, January 17, 2011

A Week of Chicken, Part III



It is another snowy, wintery day here. Last night I decided to follow up the Chicken Soup with Enchiladas. Martha has a great recipe for this: Chicken Enchiladas with Creamy Green Sauce. I've altered this recipe quite a bit into my own favorite enchiladas. Here is my modified recipe.

Chicken Enchiladas
Ingredients: salsa verde, plain yogurt, onion, garlic, spinach, black beans, roast chicken leftovers, whole wheat tortillas, cheddar or monterey jack cheese.

1. Whisk together one jar of salsa verde with one cup of yogurt. Set aside.
2. Saute one onion and a few cloves of garlic.  Then add chopped spinach (fresh or 1 frozen bag/brick) and 2 cups of black beans. If you cook your own beans, add the liquid. If you use canned beans, drain and rinse the beans. (Why? The lining in cans have BPA that releases into food. You can remove some of this with rinsing. Here is an interesting post on this.) Then add some chopped up chicken that is leftover from the roast. I use about 1.5 cups. That is my basic filling. Sometimes I also add a bunch of sliced mushrooms and saute those before adding the spinach and beans. Saute the mixture until sizzling.
3.  Now you are ready to build. Grab a 9x13 pan and a 9x9 pan.  Pour some of the salsa mixture in both pans to coat the bottom.  Dip a whole wheat tortilla in the salsa mixture, coat both sides, put in pan, add filling, roll up and repeat. Optional: add some shredded cheese with the filling. I usually put in about 6-7 in the large pan and 4 the small pan. 
4. Pour the leftover salsa on the top of all the filled tortillas and top with shredded cheese (cheddar or monterey jack).
5. Bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes until bubbly and toasted.

Have your meal with the larger pan and put the smaller one away for a second meal in the next few days.

2 comments:

  1. Missy I just thought I'd let you know that I have made this recipe 2x now. Both with my own tortillas but its great! I love the extra veggies (compared to most enchilada recipes) and the salsa verde. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you like it. It is one of our favorites!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...