Sunday, January 16, 2011
A Week of Chicken, Part II
1. Saute one onion, 5 celery sticks and 5 carrots in some butter and olive oil.
2. When veggies are soft, add 1 cup of brown rice. I prefer short grained for a firmer texture. Hulled barley is also another good option. Saute a few minutes till rice is translucent.
3. Add 1.5 cups of left over roast chicken in chunks. I usually use the small dark bits that I picked off the bones and save the breast meat for another dish.
4. Add the 5-6 cups of the broth you just made, 1 teaspoon of thyme and freshly ground pepper. Simmer for about an hour till the rice is done.
5. Other options instead of rice: If I have leftover potatoes from the roast the night before I cut those up into small chunks and add them at the end to warm up. Whole grain dumplings are also great.
When the soup is ready, I ladle out some, with just a bit of broth, into the blender for Pieter. What yummy baby food! I do make sure that the broth I take for this is skimmed from the top to have a high fat content for all that brain development that is going on. After the baby food is pulled I add freshly ground sea salt for everyone else and serve!