Coconut Chocolate Scones
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick), cold unsalted butter
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened coconut milk, shaken well
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 t coconut extract or an additional little splash of coconut milk
- 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flours, sugars, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Using a fork or pastry blender, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles crumbs. Stir in the shredded coconut.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, coconut milk and extracts.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir gently with a wooden spoon just until dough is evenly moistened. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface and knead two or three times. Divide the dough in half, and pat each half into a circle about 1/2 inch thick and about 6 inches in diameter. Use a knife to divide each circle into 8 wedges.
- Transfer the scones to a baking sheet. Bake until scones are puffed and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating halfway through.